Relocate.World logo

Hong Kong

If you thought that Hong Kong was all about towering skyscrapers and gargantuan towers, you’d be right. But, you’d also be right if you guessed that almost half of its territorial land is occupied by parks and nature reserves. That’s right—Hong Kong, or “fragrant harbour” as it means in Chinese offers something for everyone.

Those into architectural marvels can appreciate the world’s longest covered elevator stretching over 800 meters in Hong Kong’s Central-Mid-Level escalator. If you’re into highfalutin lifestyle, you probably already know that Hong Kong boasts of an envious spot on the billionaires list—in 2020, it ranked seventh.

For the locomotive nerds, you have The Peak Tramway, which is the world’s oldest and steepest tramways—396 metres above sea level. The Hong Kong-Zuhai-Macau bridge, which opened in 2018, spans 55 kilometres across the Pearl River Delta, making it the world’s longest sea crossing.

And if you’re superstitious, you’d be relieved to know that it’s common for apartment buildings to not have a fourth floor as the number four sounds like the word “death” in Chinese, so it’s considered unlucky.

And we know what you’re wondering—and the answer is no, Hong Kong doesn’t offer digital nomad visas yet. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t for remote workers and nomads. In fact, and unsurprisingly, it ranks quite high on Nomadlist on account of having a great quality of life, fast and reliable internet, number of good coworking spaces and an active nightlife.

Admittedly, Hong Kong can be expensive for remote workers looking for budget travel (with sophistication comes sticker shock), thanks to the overinflated and unforgiving property market. Estimated costs for a single person can be as high as $6000—making it the most expensive city in Asia and among the top ten in the world.

But Hong Kong is also a major financial hub in Asia that attracts a high number of skilled talent, especially in the financial services and technology sector. The country supports a number of different visa type (other than tourist visas) for relocation. While the General Employment Policy guarantees a work visa against a secured work contract, the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme offers expats of certain professions to relocate to Hong Kong based on their skills. For instance, it offers 1,000 slots to IT, financial, legal, and creative professionals who do not need an existing job offer to be eligible for the visa.

Hong Kong also provides employment-based visa options for seasonal workers, foreign domestic workers and low-skilled labour.

Take a pause to enjoy the scenery while we work hard in the background to bring you everything related to relocating to the Hong Kong.

While we’re striving to bring you more content-rich information, take a minute to dig deeper into our FAQs, on-the-pulse information about Hong Kong and connect with our leading immigration Advisors today.


Connect with leading experts in Hong Kong

Find the perfect advisor for your relocation needs.

No advisors in Hong Kong
See The Complete List


Get Inspired. Stay Informed.

We provide readers with original, practical and timely information about relocation...written by the experts.

Let's go places together Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our community of Global Citizens today.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

AboutRelocate.Series Terms & ConditionsPrivacy policyContactReferral Program