Relocate.World logo

Live in Mexico as a Digital Nomad


Jose Cosio Izcapa


February 24, 2022


06:47 AM

Share this article:

Mexico is a preferred location around the world for working remotely, with varied locations and climates, from one of the largest and culturally diverse cities in the world to hidden tropical paradises. While Mexico does not have a digital nomad visa or a visa specifically for remote work, there are a couple of options for Digital Nomads to navigate Mexico’s immigration framework.

There are two viable alternatives for people that want to do that:

  1. normal tourist visa
  2. temporary resident visa


The tourist visa is for people that are going to be in Mexico for periods shorter than 180 days.

Mexico does not require a visa for citizens of most countries.

Here is a list of the countries for which a visa is required to enter Mexico.

To request a visa, you need:

  1. valid passport with at least six months of validity
  2. a certificate of employment (letter from your employer describing your position and monthly salary), or a letter from a school indicating you are a student; proof of income for freelancers or entrepreneurs
  3. bank account statements for the last 3 months
  4. an application form filled out
  5. a photograph

You must request the visa in a Mexican consulate in your home country, before arriving to Mexico. The process is straightforward. You request an appointment at the consulate and provide all the necessary documentation and information.


This option is for people who are staying in Mexico for periods longer than 180 days and up to four years. Temporary resident visa also allows foreigners to open a local bank account, rent and buy cars and travel in and out of Mexico without restrictions.

To request the temporary residency, you must provide proof that you can cover your living expenses while in Mexico; bank statements proving a monthly income of USD 650 or more over the last 6 months, or a bank statement with the minimum average balance of USD 12,000 over the last 12 months.

For independent entrepreneurs/freelancers, a document proving a stable, monthly income of around $1,600 USD for the last 6 months, or a bank account with the average balance of around $27,000 USD in the last 12 months.

You will also need:

  1. valid passport with at least six months of validity
  2. proof that you can cover your living expenses
  3. an application form filled out and
  4. a photograph

The first part of the process begins at a Mexican consulate or embassy. You book an appointment, provide all necessary documents, have a visa interview, and then receive the temporary residency visa. After receiving this visa, you travel to Mexico, and exchange the visa for a Temporary Resident Card within a 30-day period.

To exchange the visa for a Temporary Resident Card, you must fill out a few applications with personal information and a valid passport.

Learn More About Life in Mexico and Immigration Pathways

Abogadoai is a boutique law firm specializing in immigration matters, corporate law, commercial law and IP law. It also helps with the certified translation of documents in English, Spanish, and French.

Contact Jose Cosio Izcapa to learn more about living in Mexico as a Digital Nomad

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 9,53,45 AM.webp

Featured Articles

Get Inspired. Stay Informed.

We provide readers with original, practical and high-quality information about relocation....written by the experts.

See all articles

Let's go places together Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our community of Global Citizens today.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

AboutPartnersRelocate.Series Terms & ConditionsPrivacy policyContact