Relocate.World logo

Living and Working throughout Europe


Virginie Le Baler


August 25, 2022


10:23 AM

Share this article:

While some European citizens tend to forget that having a European passport does not exempt from immigration formalities outside of the EU, some people wishing to live in Europe may tend to think that once they set foot in the Schengen area, everything is feasible. Hum… no!

Check out some of these frequently asked questions and situations that help demystify these issues for living and working throughout Europe:

Frequently Asked Questions About European Immigration Matters

Is it possible to have multiple European residence/work permits?

The answer is usually no – but before putting a clear and massive “no” to this question, one should check the legislation of the concerned country. It is a question of sovereignty, security and law: the conditions for obtaining a residence/work permit vary from one country to another. If we take the example of France, it does not allow to have a French work/residence permit on one side, and a work/residence permit in another European state on the other.

Can I use my German work permit in France?

No. Your German work permit has been issued by German authorities, based on specific criteria that you have met (position, salary, contract….). It does not allow you to live long-term or work in another European country. However, since you are legally in the European Union territory, it allows you to travel to another country in the Schengen area for a period of 90 days to attend meetings, seminars, conferences or for tourist visits.

Does my EU Blue Card allow me to work anywhere in Europe?

No. The European Union Blue Card (“EBC”) holds this name because it is a tool that can be found in many European countries – it is pretty much its only European touch, since like any other work permit, its conditions vary from one country to another. It therefore does not allow long-term stay or work in another European country.

Is there a “European permit” for working or living

No… or not yet!

Can I travel to the EU with my work/residence permit issued by a European country?

Yes! You can cross the border and go to another European country for 90 days for a tourist stay, or to attend meetings, seminars, conferences, etc.

I have an Italian work permit/residence. Can I work remotely in Spain?

This question allows us to recall here that the subject of remote-work remains unclear in terms of immigration. Outside the countries that have legislated on the subject, and there aren’t many, or those that have issued a “remote” or “nomad visa” permit, a beautiful chiaroscuro reigns over the matter and the answer must be validated with local authorities, your employer and an immigration expert.

Virginie Le Baler has been working in the global mobility industry for 12 years, with a very focused specialization on global immigration. She is the Founding Partner of Oui Immigration that specializes in migration matters for France and elsewhere throughout the world!

Get Started 👉 Contact Virginie Today

Featured Articles

Get Inspired. Stay Informed.

We provide readers with original, practical and high-quality information about relocation....written by the experts.

See all articles

Let's go places together Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our community of Global Citizens today.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

AboutLeave a Review Terms & ConditionsPrivacy policyContactJoin RelocateCitizen Remote 🏄