Relocate.World logo

Australia Partner Visa: document checklist


Mihan (Adnan) Hannan


December 14, 2021


08:03 PM

Share this article:

Australia’s Partner visas are both temporary and permanent visas that enable the spouses (married) or de facto partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents, and eligible New Zealand citizens to reside in Australia on the basis of their relationship. Eligibility for a Partner visa is dependent on several factors, primarily relating to the nature of your relationship.

This document checklist relates to Australia’s Partner visas that can lead to eventual permanent residence (referred to collective as Partner visas below), and not Australia’s new Subclass 870 temporary partner visa, which you can read about here.


Onshore and Offshore visas

There are both onshore and offshore versions of the Partner visa.

The onshore versions of the Partner visa consists of both the:

  1. Subclass 820 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 801 (permanent) visa.

On the other hand, the offshore versions of the Partner visa are the:

  1. Subclass 309 (temporary) visa; and
  2. Subclass 100 (permanent) visa.

As a matter of procedure, both applications are applied for at the same time. Usually, the temporary visa will be granted first, with the applicant being eligible for the corresponding permanent component two years after the lodgement of the initial application. However, where a couple are in a long-term relationship, the two visas can be granted at the same time. A long-term relationship refers to where the couple have:

  • been together for more two years and have a child (not including a step-child); or
  • have been together for more than three years.

Regardless of the Partner visa subclass you are applying for, the documents and information required for your application are largely the same.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Evidence of Relationship

There are a range of documents required for a Partner visa, many of which serve as evidence of your relationship. The document types required and some examples of what you might include are outlined in the table below:

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 12,44,40 AM.webp Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 12,55,37 AM.webp

The above is a general checklist, meaning that depending on your circumstances, alternate documents might be more appropriate.

Documents Required for a Partner Visa: Identity and Character

In addition to evidence of your relationship, there are a number of other documents required for both applicant and sponsor. These are outlined below:

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 11,42,27 PM.webp

Depending on your circumstances, further documents may be required. Please also note that all documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Including Children

You will be able to include your children in your visa application, who will also be granted a Partner visa. If you are including your children, there are several other documents that will need to be included. For example, you might need:

  • Form 1229 for children under 18 years of age travelling without both parents;
  • Identity and contact details of other parents of the children;
  • Form 48A for children over 18 years of age; and
  • Evidence of financial dependency of any children aged over 18.

Your children will also need identity documents, such as passports and birth certificates.


Processing times for Partner visas vary but are generally quite lengthy. For the latest updates on processing times, you should refer to the Department’s website.

After lodgement, you will need to undertake your health examinations using a HAP ID.

If you apply for the onshore Partner visas, you will normally be granted a Bridging Visa A (BVA), providing you unlimited work and study rights. However, if you apply for the offshore Partner visas, you will need to wait for an outcome before travelling to Australia, or alternatively, obtain a different visa.

Key Takeaways

Applying for an Australian Partner visa can be stressful, largely due to the lengthy processing times and high costs involved. However, knowing the range of documents required can help make this process easier. The key documents you will need to provide include evidence of:

  • financial aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the household;
  • social aspects of the relationship;
  • nature of the commitment to one another;
  • identity; and
  • health

Learn More About Australian Partner Visas, Other Immigration Pathways and Life in Australia

Hannan Tew Lawyers is a full service Australian immigration law firm with an Accredited Specialist and years of experience.

Emily Young, Lawyer at Hannan Tew Lawyers authored this article.

To further discuss partner visas in Australia, or other matters related to living in Australia, reach out to Mihan and request a consultation.

Transparent Logo.png

Featured Articles

Get Inspired. Stay Informed.

We provide readers with original, practical and high-quality information about relocation....written by the experts.

See all articles

Let's go places together Subscribe to our Newsletter

Join our community of Global Citizens today.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

AboutLeave a Review Terms & ConditionsPrivacy policyContactJoin RelocateCitizen Remote 🏄