Around 26 countries have introduced digital nomad visas and that number continues to climb as they’re proving a popular way to introduce foreign investment into economies and to allow individuals to explore other countries, without having to go through the rigorous process to obtain a long-term permit.
####What is the Mauritius Premium Visa?
The Mauritian Premium Visa is one of the most sought-after for its longer duration (12 months) and lower monetary requirements, not to mention incredible in-country conditions, including stable, temperate weather patterns and cheap living costs, coupled with high quality of life.
Who Can Apply for the Mauritius Premium Visa?
- Candidates working for foreign companies NOT based in Mauritius may be eligible for the Premium Visa. NB: If you are a foreign national working for a LOCAL branch or subsidiary of your company in Mauritius, a work permit, not a Premium Visa, would be applicable.
- Candidates must prove a contract of employment with said foreign-owned company for at least 12 months to allow remote work.
- Candidates must prove a minimum income of US 1 500,00 p/m.
- Candidates and accompanying spouses/dependents must have International Medical Insurance.
Benefits of the Mauritius Premium Visa
- Processing is easier than most other digital nomad visas – no stringent medical and background checks required
- No government fees apply to this visa type
- You may renew the Premium Visa within Mauritius after the first 12 months
- You may change your visa status within Mauritius to a long-term permit option
- Spouses and dependants may accompany main visa candidate
- If you are fully vaccinated, you will not be asked to quarantine
- This visa is open to all foreign nationals from all countries
Important Considerations for the Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa
- You will not be obligated to comply with Mauritian tax laws if you ensure that income earned from your work is placed in a foreign bank account and does not enter Mauritius.
- If, however, you live in-country for longer than 183 days, you will be liable to comply with local tax laws.
- If you are bringing your minor children to Mauritius and they need to attend school or college in person, a Mauritius Study Visa for said dependant must be acquired.
Andreas Krensel is the Managing Owner of IBN Immigration Solutions, a multiple award-winning boutique immigration firm providing specialist immigration services for African countries, as well as some international markets.
Learn more about being a remote worker or digital nomad in Mauritius 👉 Contact Andreas Today